Created By : Sunil Kumar Gandipadala
Reviewed By : Rajashekhar Valipishetty
Last Updated : May 18, 2023
Utilize this handy Acceleration due to Gravity Calculator to get the acceleration due to gravity value for the given numbers in a short span of time. Simply enter the inputs such as mass, radius and gravitational acceleration values in the mentioned sections and hit on the calculate button to generate the answer within no time.
Ex: 23, 456, 2e4 , 2e-11, 1.23, 3.076e-11
Steps to find Acceleration due to Gravity
Go through the below procedure to evaluate the Acceleration due to Gravity. You will arrive at the solution easily by following the mentioned guidelines.
- Get Planet Mass, Radius from Planet Center, Gravitational Acceleration from the given question.
- The formula to find the Gravitational Acceleration = GM / r2
- Where, M is the Mass
- r is the radius from the planet center.
- G is the universal gravitational constant whose value is 6.6726 x 10-11 N−m2/kg2
- Place the values in the formula and do calculations accordingly.
Question: What is the acceleration due to gravity at the Moon’s surface? Moon’s mass = 7.35 x 1022 kg, the radius of the Moon is 1.7 x 106 m, universal constant is 6.67 x 10-11 N m2 / kg2
Given values are
Moon's mass (M) = 7.35 x 1022 kg
Radius of the moon (r) = 1.7 x 106 m
Universal constant (G) = 6.67 x 10-11 N m2 / kg2
Acceleration due to gravity at Moon's surface g = GM / r2
g = (6.67 x 10-11 * 7.35 x 1022) / (1.7 x 106)2
= 16.19 x 10-1
g = 1.62
Perform and understand mathematical calculations in seconds taking the help of online tools provided for several concepts at Physicscalc.Com
FAQs on Acceleration due to Gravity Calculator
1. What is the formula for acceleration due to gravity?
Acceleration due to Gravity formula is g = GM / r2
Where G is the Universal gravitational constant, M is the mass, and r is the radius.
2. What is Acceleration due to gravity?
Acceleration due to gravity is the instantaneous change in downward velocity (acceleration) caused by the force of gravity toward the center of mass. It is typically experienced on large bodies like planets, moons, stars and asteroids but can occur minutely with smaller masses.
3. What is the acceleration due to gravity called?
Acceleration due to gravity is also called free-fall acceleration. Masses generate gravitational fields that attract other masses.
4. Is acceleration due to gravity positive or negative?
g always acts downwards and is a positive number i.e 9.8 m / s2. It can be positive or negative based on the sign you assign to upward and downward direction.