Air Pressure at Altitude Calculator is a handy and simple to use tool used for determining the atmospheric pressure at any level and at any temperature. You just need to provide the inputs such as Altitude, Temperature, Pressure at Sea Level to get the Atmospheric Pressure easily.
What is Atmospheric Pressure?
Air Pressure is nothing but the force exerted by atmospheric air on the surface of the planet. The greater the elevation is the smaller the mass of air lying on the ground. Atmospheric Pressure increases with increase in temperature. Units of Pressure are Pascals(Pa).
Air Pressure at Altitude Formula
One needs to use the barometric formula inorder to find the air pressure at altitude. Pressure Altitude Formula is given by the equation P = PΓéÇ exp(-gM(h-hΓéÇ)/(RT))
- h is the altitude at which we want to determine the air pressure and is expressed in units m
- P is the air Pressure at Altitude h
- PΓéÇ is the pressure at reference level hΓéÇ. In general, reference level is at sea level and hΓéÇ = 0
- T is the Temperature at Altitude h and is given in units Kelvins
- g is the gravitational acceleration and for earth its value is g = 9.80665 m/s²
- M is the Molar Mass of Air and for Eartly Air M = 0.0289644 kg/mol
- R is the Universal Gas Constant and its value is equal to R = 8.31432 N·m/(mol·K)
Physicscalc.Com has got concepts like friction, acceleration due to gravity, water pressure, gravity, and many more along with their relevant calculators all one under one roof.
How to find Air Pressure at Altitude?
Follow the step by step procedure listed below to calculate air pressure at altitude easily. They are as such
- Firstly, figure out the altitude(h) at which you want to determine the atmospheric pressure.
- Find out the reference pressure PΓéÇ and the typical value for Earth is 1 atm.
- Then, choose the air temperature T at altitude h.
- Substitute all the known parameters in the formula for air pressure at altitude i.e. P = PΓéÇ exp(-gM(h-hΓéÇ)/(RT))
- Simplify the equation obtained and find the Air Pressure easily.
FAQs on Air Pressure at Altitude Calculator
1. What is meant by Air Pressure?
Air Pressure is the force exerted by atmospheric air on the surface of the planet.
2. What is Pressure Altitude Formula?
Air Pressure at Altitude can be found using the formula P = PΓéÇ exp(-gM(h-hΓéÇ)/(RT))
3. What does h stands for in the Pressure Altitude Formula?
h stands for the Altitude at which you want to calculate the pressure.
4. What are the Common Units of Pressure?
The Common Units of Pressure are Pascal, Kilopascals, Megapascals, Gigapascals, Pound Per Square Inch, Atmospheric Pressure, Bar, etc.