How to Calculate Work?
The detailed process to find the work done by an object manually is provided below. For the sake of your comfort, we have also listed the formulas to compute the work. Follow these instructions and make your calculations easier.
Work From Force, Dislacement
Work From Velocity Change
- Get the displament and force applied on the object from the question
- Multiply the force and displacement
- The product is the work
- Check the object mass, initial velocity and final velocity from the question.
- Subtract the square of final velocity from the square of initial velocity.
- Multiply it by the half of the mass to get the work.
What is Maent by Work?
Work is a type of effort that we perform everyday. In physics, work is defined as the force that requires to occur a displacement or movement in the object. We can also say it as the product of displacement and force acting on the body. The SI unit of work is Joule (J).
The formulas to calculate the work are along the lines
w = f * d
f = w/d
d = w/f
When velocities and mass of the object are given,
w = (m/2) * (v1┬▓ - v0┬▓)
m = (2w)/(v1┬▓ - v0┬▓)
v0 = ΓêÜ(v1┬▓ - (2 * w/m))
v1 = ΓêÜ(v0┬▓ + (2 * w/m))
f is the force
d is the displacement
v0 is the initial velocity
v1 is the final velocity
m is the mass of the object
w is the work
Question: A cycle having a mass of 50 kgs moves with an initial velocity of 10 m/s and reaches the destination with a final velocity of 15 m/s. Find the work done by the cycle?
Mass of the cycle m = 50 kgs
Initial velocity v0 = 10 m/s
Final velocity v1 = 15 m/s
Work = ?
Work formula is w = (m/2) * (v1┬▓ - v0┬▓)
Substitute the given values
w = (50/2) * (15┬▓ - 10┬▓)
= 25 * (225 - 100)
= 25 * 115
Therefore, the work is 2875 J
Perform and understand physics concepts within seconds by taking the help of online calculator tools provided at Physicscalc.Com
Frequently Asked Questions on Work Calculator
1. What are the types of work with examples?
The two types of work are positive work, negative work. The examples of positive work are an object falls freely from a building the force, displacement are in the same direction. The example of negative work is lifting a body and it has force and displacement in opposite direction.
2. What is SI unit of work?
The SI unit of work is Joune (J).
3. A train covers a distance of 20 km and that the force causing it to accelerate is 0.5 m/s┬▓. Calculate the work done?
Displacement d = 20 km
Force f = 0.5 m/s┬▓
Work w = f * d
w = 20 * 0.5
Work done is 10 J.
4. How to find the work done by an object using the velocity chnage and mass?
According to newton's second law F = ma
= m * (v1 - v0)/t
Displacement d = t *(v0 + v1)/2
Work is w = f * d
= m * (v1 - v0)/t * [t *(v0 + v1)/2]
= (m/2) * (v1┬▓ - v0┬▓)